Calypso DIY Tonearm Project - Introduction


Build your own Tonearm from 3D printed parts: 

Calypso DIY Tonearm Project

How it all began:
Some years ago when I was a student I bought a nice Rega Planar 3 drive set consisting of a Premotec synchronous motor, bearing, sub platter and glass platter. With these important parts in my hands, I wanted to build my own record player and started putting everything together. But when I came to the tonearm (after a delay of some years...), I realized that there might be a more demanding DIY engineering challenge than putting purchased parts on a wooden base and so I decided to make a tonearm.
I was inspired by the Well Tempered Amadeus record player with its golf ball tonearm, hanging on two nylon threads (it's actually only one thread) and being damped by silicone oil. It avoided machining the tricky parts of a cardanic bearing and was a perfect start to DIY tonearm making. This was the result:
Even if it's a bit tricky to set up, the silicon oil tonearm works very well. It enabled me to carry out experiments like changing the geometry, without being afraid to destroy the delicate bearings of an expensive commercial tonearm and so I learned a lot about tonearms when I used this device as an experimental platform. And some months later, I build my second tonearm, custom made for a good friend:


It is quite obvious that many parts of this arm were made using a mini lathe that came to my workshop meanwhile.
After presenting this tonearm, I got a lot of requests to build more of them which I had to refuse for many reasons (two boys, now 3 and 5 years old...)
During discussions with my friends and colleagues Daniel and Philipp the idea of 3D-printing the difficult-to-make-parts came up and after playing around with 3D modeling software, the first 3D printed parts were made: headshell and bearing body for a silicone oil tonearm:
Until now there were several optimizations of the headshell and the body as well as the implementation of a cardan bearing version, all having the same "interface" for the use of 10mm tube diameter.

Where do we want to go:
There is not the one "Calypso Tonearm". It is a collection of 3D-printed parts that will help you to build your own tonearm and will give you the maximum freedom to realize your ideas.

I will try to use this blog to post topics on building Calypso Tonearms, calculation of tonearm geometry,  and to present finished Calypsos made by other DIY tonearm builders.

All current 3D models can be found on shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/turbolino
Shapeways is a commercial 3D-printing service that hosts all Calypso 3D models. You can order Calypso parts which will be printed for you on demand. You can also download the models as stl-files if you want to use your own 3D printer. (You need to have a Shapeways account to download models)

I hope Calypso will help to overcome one's inhibitions to build a tonearm. It is no rocket science!

kind regards,
Dominik







Comments

  1. this is so cool! I wanna built one! Would you post some sample or step by step guide? How antiskating works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomasz, thanks for your comment and your interest in building a calypso. I planned to post articles on how to build this tonearm and to show samples from other DIY makers on this blog.
      Regarding antiskating: In the silicone oil version you can compensate the skating force (at least partly) by twisting the two threads in a way that a force is generated trying to rotate the tonearm outwards. In cardan version, antiskating is not implemented yet. Wouldn't it be a nice idea if you build the first calypso cardan with antiskating and publish your experience here? ;-)

      Delete
    2. Sorry for late reply. I missed notification. Well, it would be a very nice idea. I think I will try that this year :) Just need to find proper bearings.

      Delete
  2. Hello, great project, i am printing a cardan version of your tonearm.
    But i have some difficulties finding compatible bearings. What bearings have you used (kind and measure)? i plan to add vta on the fly and spring loaded antiskate (i have to redraw the exterior shell, i'll send you the files when they are ready. Thank you. Federico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Federico,
      The ball bearings have the size 681 (1x3x1mm). You can find them in specialized shops for model making or on ebay. From my experience the cheap ones from China work fine.
      Check my new post on Calypso Cardan Assembly.
      I would be very glad to see your modification regarding antiskating and VTA adjustment!
      //Dominik

      Delete
  3. I see I can get the "ball" part of the tonearm design of the "silicon oil tonearm" from Shapeways, but how do i get the "socket" oil bath part? Or even what is it's design? Is it a matching socket (with a little additional "clearance" around the ball and where the silicone is? Or is it just a reservoir?

    I'd like to build a version in which the ball sits in a socket that matches the ball's diameter (with a little tolerance for it to float in oil and NO thread to support it. Has anyone tried this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dominik- same question from me! Do you have plans to provide the container for the silicone? I like your idea that you can alter the height by rotating it up and down.
    Thanks and best regards
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regards.
    I have read about this project with great interest as I have owned a WTT Classic for many years, and have been thinking about building an updated version. Geat job by the way.

    I have one question, or maybe a suggestion. Have you considered doing the headshell piece that attaches to the arm wand inverted? That is, with the slotted horizontal piece towards the bottom of the arm wand instead of the top. ( like in the original WTT aluminium one) I as because I think it would be more suitable to all types of cartridge bodies and easier to make the cable connections to the back of the cartridges. Just a thought.

    Also, any progress regarding the tone arm lift cue design? I saw some thing on the 3D printed parts, but no complete design or parts.

    Again great job, and thanks.
    Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!
    What diameter of the wand will fit the 3D-printed parts?
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Calypso Silicone Oil Tonearm - Daniel's beautiful DIY Turntable

Calypso Cardan Assembly